- A Swedish DRM-based music streaming service offering music from a range of major and independent record labels.
- A standalone application for computers and an application for mobile devices.
- Allows users to set up playlists and share them.
- Users can register either for free accounts supported by visual and radio-style advertising or for paid subscriptions without ads and a range of extra features such as higher bitrate streams and offline access to music.
- Have approximately 159 millions of monthly active users in 2017 (including 1 million paying members). As of January 2018, Spotify had 70 million paying subscribers worldwide, up from 30 million paying subscribers in March 2016.
- 2006: Founded by the Swedish startup; Spotify AB.
- 2008: Launched
- 2009: After initially needing an invitation to use the service, they began offering free accounts to the public without an invitation
- 2010: Announced two more types of accounts were available; Spotify Unlimited and Spotify Open. Gave each user a profile page and allowed users to connect to their friends on Facebook to share playlists and view friends' most listened to artists and tracks
- 2011: Launched in the US
- 2012: Launched in Germany, Australia and New Zealand